1. Earth's atmopshere makes conditions
on Earth suitable for living things.
A. living things need air, warmth and water
2. Atmosphere made of:
A. fig. 2, pg. 441 put in order of decreasing %
3. Nitrogen (N2) is the most abundant
gas - 78%
3. What is the fire triangle?
A. represents the 3 components needed for fire to burn
B. What is in the air that burns?
1. Oxygen (O2)
Discover pg. 440
Answer the "think it over"
1. Air has mass
A. other properties
D= density, M=mass, V=volume
2. Air pressure
A. fig. 9,pg. 452
1. air is always around you - in all directions
3. How do you measure air pressure?
1. mercury barometer
2. aneroid barometer
A. air pressure (decreases), altitude (increases)
B. as air pressure decreases, density decreases
C. read pg. 455 - Air at sea level...